CPC Training FAQ’s

Your questions answered

What is Driver CPC?

The Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) is compulsory training introduced by the European Parliament and Council. It is designed to improve drivers’ awareness of road safety, fuel efficiency and career development.

Do I need a Driver CPC qualification?

You must hold a current Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) and a valid Driver CPC card (sometimes called a DQC, or driver qualification card) to legally work as a driver in the UK. If you drive professionally without your Driver CPC card you can be fined £50. You must also complete periodic training, which involves all professional drivers undertaking 35 hours of training every 5 years

Am I a driver with ‘acquired rights’?

Existing drivers who already held a vocational licence on the 10th September 2008 (PCV) or the 10th September 2009 (LGV) are exempt from the Initial Driver CPC. This is known as “acquired rights” or often referred to as “grandfather rights”.

However, you will still need to take periodic training within set deadlines. You should have already completed your first block of training, and the deadlines for lorry drivers for the second and third block are as follows:

  • Second block: 9 September 2019
  • Third block: 9 September 2024
Is Driver CPC mandatory?

Yes. It is mandatory for all professional PCV and LGV drivers whose primary role is driving for a living.

Do I need a medical report?

In order to retain your Driver CPC, you must sign a declaration confirming that you meet the medical standards every five years until the age of 45. After the age of 45, you must provide a medical report every 5 years to renew your driving licence. After the age of 65, you must submit a medical report every year.

How does Driver CPC differ from Managers CPC?

CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) is a qualification needed to operate an ‘O’ Licence. Whereas this new legislation is called Driver CPC, its full title is Driver Certificate of Professional Competence. This should not be confused with CPC.

What size of fleet is included?

Any size of fleet is included within the Driver CPC legislation. If a company has professional PCV or LGV drivers, then they must complete Driver CPC to validate their driving licence.

Are there any exemptions?

Yes, as detailed below:

  • Vehicles with a maximum speed not exceeding 45 Kmph
  • Vehicles used by the armed forces, civil defence, and emergency services
  • Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance
  • Vehicles used in states of emergency
  • Vehicles used in the course of driving lessons or examinations
  • Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passenger or goods – for personal use
  • Vehicles used for carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, providing that driving the vehicles is not the drivers’ principal activity
Does the 35 hours training have to be completed in one go or over time?

In the United Kingdom there are no rules to say how drivers should take the 35 hours driver CPC training, as long as a total of 35 hours of training are completed within the 5 years. You can also repeat a course within the five year period if you wish.

Do I have to complete a 7 hour course in 1 day?

All courses will be 7 hours long. However, it can be divided into two 3½ hour courses and completed within a 24 hour period, e.g. if the first 3½ hour course takes place on a Monday between 9:00 am and 12:30 pm, the second 3½ hour course will have to be completed no later than Tuesday at 12:30 pm. Each course time (7 or 3½ hours) does not include breaks.

Is the training practical or theory?

The course can be practical or theory based.

Who can deliver Driver CPC training?

Only approved courses taken with approved training centres will count towards periodic training. The approval process for courses is managed, on behalf of the Driving Standards Agency (DSA), by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT)

What should I consider when selecting a company to deliver my Driver CPC training?

When choosing a company to deliver Driver CPC training the following points are offered for consideration:

  • Is the company JAUPT approved?
  • Is it interested ONLY in providing courses that meet compliance OR are they interested in adding value to my business?
  • Does the company offer a comprehensive course portfolio that includes a blend of workshop and on-road practical subjects?
  • Does this blend offer subjects that are relevant and add the most value to my business?
  • Do they offer flexibility and delivery at times that suit my business operation?
  • Will they provide options on venues?
  • Will they come to me?
  • Do they offer a local venue where individuals or small groups can attend open classes?
  • Will the company be interested in developing bespoke subjects?
  • Can they be considered to be credible in managing my entire Driver CPC programme for my fleet and leaving me to concentrate on my core business?
  • Do they have experience in the design, development and delivery of training for the PCV and LGV driver?
  • Do they come with recommendations and testimonials for delivering affordable and quality Driver CPC training solutions?
  • Does this company understand my business and is able to provide courses that help to minimise risk and cost?
Will I need an identity check?

Training centres must carry out identity checks in order to verify the identity of each participant on a course. This requires a visual check of an official form of identification such as a passport and ‘old style’ paper driving licence or photocard and counterpart driving licence.

Do I need to complete a driver feedback form?

Each driver should complete a feedback form at the end of each course. The approved training centre should retain this feedback for inspection by JAUPT.

If my drivers hold both a PCV and LGV licence, will they need to take two sets of periodic training?

No. Only one set of periodic training needs to be completed every five years. However, Bigfoot recommends the choosing of courses that provide the most value to the driver and the business operation.

How do I find out what training my drivers have already received?

The DVLA can be contacted but the driver has to be present at the time of the call. You can also check online at https://www.gov.uk/check-your-driver-cpc-periodic-training-hours.

Do I need to log training completion with any government agency?

Yes. All Drivers CPC records will be recorded by the DSA. It is the driver’s responsibility to make sure they have received the necessary training to meet their Driver CPC requirements. However, all companies should also keep a record of all their drivers training and further training requirements.

Do I need to keep a log of my training?

All training records will be kept on the DSA computer. However, the driver should also keep their own records on the training they have received as well as the training required to complete the 35 hour Driver CPC training requirement.

Is Driver CPC training transferrable to other employers?

Driver CPC training is for the individual driver and is linked to their driving licence. If a driver changes employment supporting evidence will have to be produced for the new employer.

Who is responsible for ensuring I get trained? Is it me or my employer?

Driver CPC is the responsibility of the driver to make sure they complete the hours required to keep their Driver CPC up to date. However, businesses should take a proactive approach to ensuring that drivers receive appropriate training that adds most value to their operation.

Do you have a CRS number for your CPC courses?

Yes. Our number is CRS 11253/988.

Talk to Us!

Discover how easy logistics, driver recruitment and training can be.

Find Us

  • Unit C Andes Road, Nursling Industrial Estate, Southampton, SO16 0YZ
  • 02380 739589

Find Us

  • Unit C Andes Road, Nursling Industrial Estate, Southampton, SO16 0YZ
  • 02380 739589
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap. Alternatively, call us on 02380 739589